EDITED: Lesson During the Level 4 Covid-19 Lockdown
Monday, March 23, 2020 | Notices
To our students, families and the Amplify Community,
Its unfortunate news that Covid-19 has become this severe that it requires a lock-down. The tutors have been informed and given instructions on the situation and below is some more clarification and updates following on from last week.
- All lessons and locations, effectively tomorrow will be CANCELLED, 1 day at a time until further notice.
- By default, your account will still be charged for any lesson that requires cancellation however, a "MAKEUP CREDIT" will be issued to you for each lesson that is cancelled. You can use this to scheduled a "CATCH-UP LESSON" at a later date after the threat level has been reduced or lifted.
- Due to the severity of the situation, there will be no lessons offered at Amplify or Youth Alive Trust (YAT) in order for us to follow the social distancing recommendations until threat levels have been reduced or lifted.
Ongoing Lesson and Moving Forward
We want students to stay motivated and up-to-date with practice and performance as well as support our hard working tutors during this difficult time. This is a first for most of us but also a bit exciting with the whole Online/Video lessons which could also be a new branch of lessons to be offered down the track.
- Tutor contact details can be found on your My Music Staff Portal under "Studio Info."
- If you need a login or a password reset please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- For account inquiries please contact Sam.Sterritt@yat.org.nz
- Please contact your tutors directly to arrange one of the following options below. Please note, tutors will be texting and emailing around the clock to organize lessons. Email has been best way to contact most of the tutors unless specified by the tutor.
1.) Catch-Up Lessons
By default, this option will be issued to everyone that has or will have a lesson cancelled unless specified or arranged between you and the tutor. As mentioned above, a Make-Up Credit will be issued for each and any lesson cancelled during the Stage-4 Lock down and you will need to arrange with your tutor a time AFTER the threat level has been lifted to schedule the Catch-Up Lesson.
2.) Online Video Lessons
My Music Staff has integrated into its system some features for Skype, Zoom and FaceTime to allow online video lessons. Not all of our tutors are equipped with this feature so please check with your tutor first. To use this feature parents and students will need:
- Either Skype, Zoom or FaceTime installed onto your PC, Laptop, Cellphone or Tablet
- A webcam (most laptops and devices already have this built in)
- A steady internet connection
- Register your Skype name on your My Music Staff Portal or simply email / txt your user name/ID to your tutor.
Edited 26th March 2020 - In house Teaching Unavailable
3.) Tutor In-House / Studio Teaching
Due to the severity of the Covid-19 , our initial idea to have in house teaching is no longer available. Please select from option 1 or 2.
Edited 24th March 2020 - Term Holidays moved forward
Term Holidays Moved Forward
The Ministry of Education (MOE) has decided to bring the school term holidays forward. This means as of next week starting on Monday 30th March, the school term holidays are in effect.
Normally the term holidays would have still been 2 and a half weeks away but due to the Covid-19 situation they have decided to bring it forward to allow schools and teachers more time to prepare and develop e-learning options. This should also provide students and families with some form of relaxation and time to process what is happening around us.
- Term 2 will now start on Wednesday 15th April.
The usual lessons that would have normally occurred next week, and the week after, (30th March - 9th April) have been removed from the calendar and transferred to the new start date of term 2 (15th April, which is where the original term break would have been). The MOE is treating next week from the 30th March through to Tuesday 14th April as "School Holidays." Naturally, Amplify will follow suit as we don't teach during school holidays or term breaks.
Starting next week Monday 30th March, we recommend treating the next two weeks as the term break. Relax, spend some time with family and practice your instrument too! Tutors are still open to scheduling and organizing Online Video lessons during that time as long as you have been able to contact them and arrange this. After the term holidays we'll take it one day at a time and cancel or reschedule lessons as needed.
Lastly and most importantly, BE SAFE. I know this is a difficult and stressful time for all of us. Please take measures to protect yourself and loved ones and lets work together and get through this ☺
Amplify School of Music